Prince died from “exceedingly high” levels of fentanyl in his body, report says

The cause of singer Prince’s death has been revealed in a toxicology report from his autopsy.

The report shows that he had what multiple experts called an “exceedingly high” concentration of fentanyl in his body when he died, according to the Associated Press, which obtained the report.

Prince, whose full name was Prince Rogers Nelson, died on April 21, 2016, after being found unresponsive in an elevator at Paisley Park, his home and recording studio in Chanhassen, Minnesota. Since his death, information has emerged about his alleged abuse of prescription drugs and the toxicology report seems to confirm that.

A toxicology report from Prince’s autopsy says the concentration of fentanyl in his blood was 67.8 micrograms per liter, which is a lot, considering that fatalities have been documented in people with levels beginning at 3 micrograms per liter. The DEA said that “approximately two milligrams is a lethal dose for most non-opioid-dependent individuals.”

Fentanyl is the most powerful opioid in medicine and is prescribed to relieve pain from cancer. It can be made illicitly and is blamed for a spike in overdose deaths in the United States. It’s 25 to 50 times more potent than heroin and 50 to 100 times more potent than morphine, according to the US Drug Enforcement Administration.

A partial toxicology report previously released by the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office concluded that Prince died from an accidental overdose of fentanyl.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s